Saturday, 7 July 2007

?!?

Here are the first three pages from the adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's The Shadow Over Innsmouth, drawn quickly and with less pencilling than is usual for me. The value of this method is that if someone says "These pages are shit", you can reply "Yeah, but the pencils were very loose, what did you expect?"

On page 2 I used the close-up of the book that describes Innsmouth's former prosperity to conceal and then reveal it's decay 'now'. When I remembered to do so I tilted the panels at alternate angles to reflect the queasiness of the tale and all the ocean stuff. I didn't do that all the time, that would have been tedious and annoying. The spiral is an on-going motif for various reasons, so it's utilised in everything from folds in cloth to lamp posts. Sound effects are handy for giving a story beats, and they're aesthetically pleasing too, especially when drawn as part of the art. I've noticed them being used less frequently in some mainstream comics for some reason. It seems a shame not to make the most of story-telling devices unique to the medium.

(Lightbulb appears above head with a "Ding") "Maybe sound effects aren't considered serious enough" (Falls backwards out of panel with a "Plop!" in a wake of perspiration beads and question marks).

2 comments:

Steve Buccellato said...

I love the use of sound effects also--especially when they're integrated well with the art. Actually, I totally agree with your larger point and can't understand why many creators don't take full advantage of the unique visual language that works so well in comics.

Sweet pages, dude.

Jonathan Edwards said...

Stunning. I'm with you on the sound effects too.