Thursday, 2 August 2007

An old friend

I was privileged to spend last weekend in the fine company of Ian Lynam and his nephew Evan, visiting from Japan and the US respectively. Ian and I have been long-distance friends since way back and have produced a number of comics together.

Inspired and nostalgic, I drew this today - Violet and her mog from a strip we collaborated on in '96 that was first published in Top Shelf number 6. We were in humbling company. Of one contributor, editor Brett Warnock wrote: "Craig Thompson is gonna be the next big thing in comics. Seriously".

Well, I guess ya can't get it right all the time...

4 comments:

Jonathan Edwards said...

This is great. What was the original strip?

Simon said...

Thanks, J. It was a 4 page story called 'Violet', reprinted in Punk Strips.

Alex said...

I like the size of her zip pull rings.

Simon said...

Yes, they've been quite the talking point, Al.